[mythtv] What is the best way to implement overlapping recordings on one channel?

David Whyte david.whyte at gmail.com
Sat Apr 2 16:52:36 UTC 2005

Woahhh!  This could use heaps more disk than you would like.

Imagine you record the Sunday movie, followed by the Sunday Formula
one!  Thats a whole 5+ hours of data (i.e. 15Gig for SD) and I would
leave the movie on the disk until I get around to watching it whilst I
would watch the F1 within a day or less.

If this is the easiest way for now, I am happy, but I doubt it would
be an ideal ending to the situation.

Dave

On Apr 1, 2005 12:32 PM, Joshua King <jking_ok at yahoo.com.au> wrote:
> Hi Glenn,
>
> On 31/3/05 6:09 PM, "Glenn Moloney" <glenn062 at optusnet.com.au> wrote:
>
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I have a "feature" (well - I call it a feature) I want to implement:
> >
> >       Allow overlapping recordings on one tuner.
> >
> > I am interested in feedback on how best to implement this feacture - in
> > a manner acceptable to the mythtv powers that be.
>
> I would find this very useful also (on my personal wish-list).
>
> My way of thinking for this was a little different to your approach, though
> however it's done if it works I'll be happy :)
>
> I prefer option 2 of your options, but I'll throw this out there anyway:
>
> I was thinking of having the scheduler collapse recordings on a single
> channel into a 'meta-recording'. For the example someone else gave, the
> scheduler would have found:
> 8:30-10:45 Stargate Atlantis (Channel 7)
> 10:30-12:30 Puppet Masters (Channel 7)
> And it would schedule a recording into a single file for 8:30-12:30 on
> Channel 7. However the database would have two entries for the same file and
> an initial cutlist which sets "Stargate Atlantis" to 0:00:00-2:45:00 in the
> file (time offset) and "Puppet Masters" to 2:00:00-4:00:00 in the file.
>
> This would affect commercial skipping, though the commercial skip would only
> need to be done once I believe the cutlist in each virtual recording would
> block it? This would have to be modified.
>
> Deletions would need to use a 'reference count' mechanism (use a SQL query
> for the number of rows which match the filename) and only physically delete
> when the last reference is removed. You might add the possibility of
> removing chunks from the file when they stop being needed by a recording
> cutlist.
>
> Joshua King

> http://au.movies.yahoo.com

GMAIL is 'da bomb baby....YEAH

I have GMail invites, if you want one, email me direct.