[mythtv] Scheduling and repeats

J. Donavan Stanley jdonavan at jdonavan.net
Wed Sep 15 21:37:37 EDT 2004

Curtis Stanford wrote:

> On Sep 15, 2004, at 4:15 PM, J. Donavan Stanley wrote:
>
>> Curtis Stanford wrote:
>>
>>> I have a quick questions about scheduling with current CVS:
>>>
>>> The new seasons are starting and I have shows scheduled for 'new
>>> episodes only'. I know they are not repeats because I checked the
>>> database. When I look at them in the GUI it says 'previously
>>> recorded' which isn't possible because they are new. I changed the
>>> option to 'check for repeats in current recordings only' and then it
>>> works correctly. If I change it back to 'check in current and
>>> previous recordings' it doesn't want to record anything.
>>
>> That was the behavior in .16, if a show wasn't marked as a repeat but
>> was in the previous or current recordings it would get marked as a
>> repeat.  With current CVS you should get the true reason it's not
>> going to record.  I've just taken another look at things and it looks
>> like I missed a section of SQL for the dups in stuff.  I'll correct
>> that soon.
>

> Would this omission explain why a non-repeat show would not be
> recorded when checking dups in current and previous recordings but
> WOULD be recorded when only checking dups in current recordings? The
> shows I think should be recorded are now showing with a 'P'
> (previously recorded), which is an improvement over showing an 'r'.
> However, the shows in question were not recorded previously because
> they are brand new.

The section of SQL I had left out would have done the proper lookups on
the titles and descriptions so probably.  When I saw it my first thought
that it would allow dups through but I guess it was in inverse.  I need
to do more testing of this, but I can't do so until I have a chance to
either get a capture card in my dev box or time to test with my MBE.

>> That is correct.  New recordings only is currently implemented as a
>> "dup in" not a "dup loc".  When set something to be recorded as new
>> episodes only it looks for duplicates using subtitle and description.
>
> I also notice there is not way to specify what to check for (i.e.
> description, subtitle) when you are recording new episodes only.
>
> I'm not sure what you mean by "dup in" and "dup loc". If shows
> typically have no subtitle, would it make sense to have an option to
> allow the new recordings to look for duplicates using subtitle and/or
> description?

I was smoking crack when I wrote that.  The new episodes is a "dup
method" as in "match using subtitles and descriptions" not a dup
location as in "look in current and old recordings".  If the show is not
a repeat (kDupCheckNewEpi) then the scheduler should treat it as  "match
using subtitles and descriptions" (kDupCheckSubDesc) and look in the
area specified by the recording rule.