[mythtv] pcHDTV oddity

Doug Larrick dougl at charter.net
Tue Sep 14 06:53:20 EDT 2004

Jarod Wilson wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> 1) CBS in my area has one of the strongest signals, and only one sub-channel.
> If I tune to it in live TV, 9 times out of 10, its perfect. The other time,
> the picture is fine, but the audio sounds like its muted and underwater. I
> can live with that, but *every* recording (out of like 7 so far) done on that
> channel has the underwater audio problem.

Could it be that CBS is sending two audio programs, and one of them is
broken?  Do you have access to another HDTV tuner that can switch
between audio tracks?  You could run my 'testinfo' stream-info program
(<http://jekyl.no-ip.org/doug/testinfo.C>; 'testinfo /dev/dtv | more'
after doing dtvsignal to change channels).  Look for the TVCT
(Terrestrial Virtual Channel Table) and see if it has multiple audio
streams listed.

There was some work done recently to allow Myth's libavcodec to deal
with MPEG streams containing multiple audio programs, and switch among
them.  It might be worthwhile to pass (record) *all* the audio streams
for a program in hdtvrecorder and see how well this works.

> 2) ABC also has a very strong signal, and worked great several months back
> when I last had my card working. I'm not sure if its related, but this is my
> only 720p station... It always plays back like its in slow motion, with
> stuttering video and audio, both in live TV and recordings. If I pause the
> video, then unpause, it seems to play fine for a sec, then starts crapping
> out again.

What is your output device?  What refresh rate?  Can you post output of
'mythfrontend --verbose playback'?

-Doug