[mythtv] New Install - 0.16 or CVS?

Kenneth Aafløy lists at kenneth.aafloy.net
Fri Oct 29 22:14:26 UTC 2004

hi,

On Friday 29 October 2004 23:53, Cecil Watson wrote:
> Jeff Thompson wrote:
> > Hi, I'm waiting for newegg to deliver all of the components for my
> > first mythtv system. I'm trying to decide whether I should install
> > using the 0.16 release or go with the CVS HEAD version. Can anyone
> > using CVS HEAD comment on the stability vs. the 0.16 release?

see the bottom lines.

> > On a related note, the CVS tree doesn't appear to use branches as part
> > of the normal development process. While each release is tagged in
> > CVS, it would appear that there is no "stable" branch for fixes to the
> > latest release. Are all fixes to the released version and bleeding
> > edge changes made to the HEAD?

you are correct, there has only been one branch in the mythtv cvs tree, iirc,
isaac hates it like the plague :) however there are tags that mark the
releases offcourse, but nothing less would be dumb.

> > I have searched, but did not find a document explaining the mythtv
> > development process, so I apologize if this information is available
> > somewhere.

it's kinda shaky, just follow the -devel list and you'll feel at home sometime
in the future..

> Why would you install CVS on new hardware?  Wouldn't you want to install
> the "stable" release to ensure your hardware is stable before trying CVS
> which can be unstable?

yup, first-timers should always try the latest release. and please RTFM:
http://www.mythtv.org/docs/
amongst others.

annoying with all those small caps?

Kenneth ;)