[mythtv] Constant ringbuffer

Jake Smith myth at thepier.freeserve.co.uk
Sat Oct 23 00:30:19 UTC 2004

I hadn't really considered the ring buffer being on a different filing
system.
I think you need the concept of a ring buffer whatever approach is taken,
i.e. a time or memory limited constaint on how large the 'back' buffer is.
To acheive efficient use of the buffer (for these purposes) it would have to
share the same partition I think, well I could imagine referencing foreign
blocks in another virtual file (RB) and then perform a colidation of
recorded material into the primary recording partition when the system is
idle or on a low priorty thread, but cirtainly adds complication.

I suppose, the main gain of having the live tv buffer on another disk
partition, is it is distrubtion the load _if_ there is one livetv
frontend(s) and another viewing a recording(s). With one frontend the worst
case load scenario is recording one show and watching another, LiveTv is
slightly better scenario because the read/writes are more localized (if not
too timeslipped). So, how important is it felt that the RB can be configured
to be on a seperate partition?

--
Jake.