[mythtv] Mythmusic question (to Thor)

thor mythtv at lamedomainname.com
Sun Nov 28 18:58:08 UTC 2004

On Sunday 28 November 2004 01:30 pm, Ed Wildgoose wrote:

> Just looking ahead a little.  I haven't checked out your new media
> player yet, but how were you thinking of putting a frontend on it?

 There already is a frontend (mfe), which is just a toy app to test the
communications but works reasonably well. There's also an http server built
into mfd, so you can just go to http://host_its_running_on:2345/ and control
music playback.

 Everything is protocols over sockets. The GUI talks to the mfd using a binary
markup of what content is available (well, technically the GUI links to
libmfdclient.so, which takes care of all this). There's another protocol to
control audio playback. Another protocol to share and stream content with
iTunes, etc.

 Will be easy to use whatever improvements you come up with in the core
decoder/output system, as the actual audio playing is separate mfd plugin
that has no GUI stuff associated with it.

> (Although I
> haven't thought through how the events on the remote machine will fire
> back at the machine with the gui..?)

 Again, just protocols over sockets.

 Don't worry about libmythui or mfd stuff, just make regular old mythmusic
work with the new audio system. Then I can basically cut and paste whatever
you come up with.

- thor