[mythtv] Recordings are starting late

David Engel gigem at comcast.net
Thu Mar 18 22:01:42 EST 2004

On Thu, Mar 18, 2004 at 03:23:07PM -0800, Bruce Markey wrote:
> Another approach would be to have a separate field for station
> matching but I don't think there is a need to mis-match callsigns
> for two channels with the same listings from the same TV station.

Using callsign has other advantages.  First, it's already quite
visible to users.  Second, it's very easy to explain to users that if
the callsigns match, the scheduler considers the channels to match
also.

> The question I'd have, David, is how would the trasnition work?

See below.

> compatibility. Would it be possible to handle numbers as chanid
> and strings as callsigns? Perhaps it might be good to add callsign
> to 'record' in addition to chanid and prefer the callsign if present?
> But then that might be counter to the simplification you are looking
> for =).

Well, now that you mention it, backward compatibility could be rather
easy.  Instead of renaming and replacing chanid in the record table
with callsign, callsign could be added as a new column and the new
code could continue to populate it even though it only use callsign.
So, if the user downgraded, the chanid would still be there for the
old code to use.

The problem would be with forward compatibility.  The upgrade plan is
to replace/add the callsign column when the database version is
updated.  However, if the user downgraded, created some new record
entries and then re-upgraded, the callsign column would be left blank
for the new record entries because the database version would already
be up to date.  To handle this, we would have to arrange for the
callsign column to always be populated if blank, but I don't think
anything like that has been done before.

On Thu, Mar 18, 2004 at 09:04:31PM -0500, Chris Pinkham wrote:
> > Well, I'm just worried about users that don't have callsign filled
> > in, since it has been optional in the past..
>
> Could set callsign to chanid where it's not filled in.

That's the plan.  It was mentioned in earlier messages when the idea
was first proposed.

David
--
David Engel