[mythtv] Slave backend problems with livetv

Daniel Sangenberg daniel at sangenberg.se
Tue Mar 9 14:49:30 EST 2004

Joseph A. Caputo wrote:
> On Tuesday 09 March 2004 13:22, Daniel Sangenberg wrote:
>> Hi!
>>
>> I posted this on the users list earlier but i was thinking that if
>> scheduled recordings work and not livetv it may be a bug.
>>
>> First this is what my setup looks like.
>>
>> Primary backend (pvr)
>> One pvr-350 and one pvr-250
>>
>> Slave backend (pvr2)
>> One DVB-C
>>
>> I am using the cvs from today but i have had this problem for a
>> couple of weeks.
>>
>> After starting both backends this is what the master backend status
>> looks like
>>
>> Encoder status
>> Encoder 1 is remote on pvr2 and is recording.
>> Encoder 2 is local on pvr and is not recording.
>> Encoder 3 is local on pvr and is not recording.
>>
>> And this is the slave backend
>> Encoder status
>> Encoder 1 is local on pvr2 and is not recording.
>
> Hmm... odd.  The master thinks the slave is recording, but the slave
> thinks it's free.  Was the status from the master & slave taken at the
> same time (i.e., which one did you query first and did a recording
> start or finish in between getting the 2 status reports?)

That was me screwing up a bit, both backends report the encoder as not
recording and this is just after starting the backends.

>> When i try to watch livetv on a dvb channel this is what i get in the
>> masterbackand debug log.
>>
>> 2004-03-09 15:44:54 Getting next free recorder : -1
>> 2004-03-09 15:44:54 33      QUERY_REMOTEENCODER 1[]:[]IS_BUSY
>>
>> And this is one the slavebackend.
>>
>> 2004-03-09 15:44:54 1       0
>
> ???

I used mythbackend -v all and this is what the only thing the slavebackend
prints when i try to start livetv

>> Scheduling a recording from a dvb channel works but the statuspage
>> show incorrect information.
>>
>> This is on the slavebackend and it is correct.
>> Encoder status
>> Encoder 1 is local on pvr2 and is recording 'Asia Today'. This
>> recording will end at 4:00 PM.
>
> Looks good...
>

>> This is on the masterbackend and is obviously wrong.
>> Encoder status
>> Encoder 1 is remote on pvr2 and is recording.
>> Encoder 2 is local on pvr and is not recording.
>> Encoder 3 is local on pvr and is not recording.
>
> Why is this wrong?
> Encoder 1 -> DVB card on pvr2 ('remote' as seen from pvr [master])
> Encoders 2 & 3 -> PVR-x50 cards on pvr ('local' as seen from pvr
> [master])

Again me screwing up :)

>> If i use the frontend on the masterbackend i can watch this
>> recording.
>
> You should be able to watch this from any frontend (provided it's
> powerful enough to decode the DVB-encoded MPEG-2)

Yes that was just to verify that it was working.

>> If i switch the master and slave backend by changing the ip in the
>> settings table the problem
>> gets reversed and i can only watch dvb channels,
>
> Not sure if I followed that...
>
>> but if i start the
>> slave backend and start
>> livetv on a non dvb channel it will tune to that but it wont be able
>> to change to dvb channels.
>
> Right; again, you're watching LiveTV from one of your PVR-x50 cards;
> to switch to a DVB channel use 'Y' to switch cards first.

What i mean is that i make switch so that the dvb backend is master and the
pvr-x50 is slave, if i start the dvb backend first i can use all tv dvb
channels but if i start the slave with the pvr-x50 cards and the first
channel it jumps to when entering livetv is a x50 channel i will never be
able to go to a dvb channel it will just switch back to the previous channel
after trying to switch.

Is anyone else here successfully using a similar configuration ?

--
Daniel