[mythtv] Slave backend problems with livetv

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Tue Mar 9 14:31:06 EST 2004

On Tuesday 09 March 2004 13:22, Daniel Sangenberg wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I posted this on the users list earlier but i was thinking that if
> scheduled recordings work and not livetv it may be a bug.
>
> First this is what my setup looks like.
>
> Primary backend (pvr)
> One pvr-350 and one pvr-250
>
> Slave backend (pvr2)
> One DVB-C
>
> I am using the cvs from today but i have had this problem for a
> couple of weeks.
>
> After starting both backends this is what the master backend status
> looks like
>
> Encoder status
> Encoder 1 is remote on pvr2 and is recording.
> Encoder 2 is local on pvr and is not recording.
> Encoder 3 is local on pvr and is not recording.
>
> And this is the slave backend
> Encoder status
> Encoder 1 is local on pvr2 and is not recording.

Hmm... odd.  The master thinks the slave is recording, but the slave
thinks it's free.  Was the status from the master & slave taken at the
same time (i.e., which one did you query first and did a recording
start or finish in between getting the 2 status reports?)

> When i try to watch livetv on a dvb channel this is what i get in the
> masterbackand debug log.
>
> 2004-03-09 15:44:54 Getting next free recorder : -1
> 2004-03-09 15:44:54 33      QUERY_REMOTEENCODER 1[]:[]IS_BUSY

Makes sense, since the master backend (which runs the scheduling code)
thinks the slave's tuner is busy.  Since that's the only tuner that can
get a DVB channel, it won't let you watch LiveTV on a DVB channel.

> And this is one the slavebackend.
>
> 2004-03-09 15:44:54 1       0

???

> The livetv sessions never change to a dvb channel.

Right; since the master thinks the DVB tuner is busy, if you're watching
LiveTV it must be using one of the tuners in your master backend, which
can't tune DVB channels.  You *could* use the 'Y' key to switch cards
in LiveTV, but in your case that wouldn't work since the scheduler
still thinks the DVB tuner is busy.

> Scheduling a recording from a dvb channel works but the statuspage
> show incorrect information.
>
> This is on the slavebackend and it is correct.
> Encoder status
> Encoder 1 is local on pvr2 and is recording 'Asia Today'. This
> recording will end at 4:00 PM.

Looks good...

> This is on the masterbackend and is obviously wrong.
> Encoder status
> Encoder 1 is remote on pvr2 and is recording.
> Encoder 2 is local on pvr and is not recording.
> Encoder 3 is local on pvr and is not recording.

Why is this wrong?
Encoder 1 -> DVB card on pvr2 ('remote' as seen from pvr [master])
Encoders 2 & 3 -> PVR-x50 cards on pvr ('local' as seen from pvr
[master])

> If i use the frontend on the masterbackend i can watch this
> recording.

You should be able to watch this from any frontend (provided it's
powerful enough to decode the DVB-encoded MPEG-2)

> If i switch the master and slave backend by changing the ip in the
> settings table the problem
> gets reversed and i can only watch dvb channels,

Not sure if I followed that...

> but if i start the
> slave backend and start
> livetv on a non dvb channel it will tune to that but it wont be able
> to change to dvb channels.

Right; again, you're watching LiveTV from one of your PVR-x50 cards; to
switch to a DVB channel use 'Y' to switch cards first.

-JAC