[mythtv] Next Scheduler Patch

Henk Poley hpoley at dds.nl
Thu Mar 4 02:15:54 EST 2004

>Van: Tako Schotanus <quintesse at palacio-cristal.com>
>Matt Zimmerman wrote:
>>>
>>>Suppose you were watching a baseball game, but during commercials you
flip
>>>to MTV, watch a 3-minute music video, and then flip back to the baseball
>>>game.  Halfway through the game, you realize it's getting really good,
and
>>>you wish you had recorded it for your friend to see.  Hit record, and
wizzo!
>>>it gathers up all the fragments you've seen, stitches them together, and
>>>records the rest of the game for you.
>>>
>>>Perhaps it's a little contrived, but I came up with it pretty quickly;
maybe
>>>others would have more convincing situations.
>>
>>This wouldn't be as hard as all that; rather than storing fragments and
>>gathering them up, you'd just append to the existing buffer.  So there
would
>>be one file for the game (corresponding to a program entry), and it might
or
>>might not actually contain the complete program at any given time.
>
>Yes, but rewinding in Live TV would be made a lot more difficult (or
>would not display the same thing you saw before).

I don't see any limitation for implementing the previous behaviour on top
of that. We already have on-the-fly flagged commercial skipping in place,
which I never hear problems about.

You could simply put a special marker at the place where the user stopped
viewing and depending on the frontend settings it would or would not
display the part between this marker and the changing of buffers. You could
even have an option where you can rewind back to where you stopped viewing
and forward into the part that was still in the framebuffer when you
switched.

	Henk Poley <><