[mythtv] Can't we use Bugzilla on mythtv.org to keep things abitmore structured?

J. Donavan Stanley jdonavan at jdonavan.net
Mon Jun 28 11:11:49 EDT 2004

psssst don't top post.

Thomas M. Pluth wrote:

>"Honestly, if you have to have everything handed to you what kind of
>developer are you?  :-p"
>
>  If you want to develop something that's useful for programmers and geeks,
>nothing else is needed.  If, however, you want to build something that the
>general public can embrace and enjoy, getting requirements from users is
>crucial.

The general public, at least the ones that get exposed to Myth, do tend
to embrace and enjoy Myth.  I've not had anyone sit down with Myth and
not grok how to use it. But usability wasn't being discussed per se what
was being discussed was the methodology used to track bugs / feature
requests.

> MythTv is a wonderful package.  I've had a blast getting it working
>throughout my house (2 backends, 2 separate frontends, file server w/ 1.2TB,
>Gigabit LAN, 120" projection HDTV, etc.), but my sister is still flustered
>by it, because she is not a techno-geek.  She is learning, however, but she
>stills asks why I can't be happy with just a channel change button.

Then I suggest that *you* write code for *your* sister.  That way other
people can benefit.  That's pretty much what we all do here, we write
code for ourselves, our wives etc. As such the product gets better.  It
helps that developers write code they care about that has an impact on
their usage or the usage of a loved one.  I'd rather have a dev working
on a feature he cared about over a dev working on feature #232 in a long
list of crap someone else wants him to do.

>  Of course, I don't think there would be any legal issue if someone decided
>they wanted to take a branch of the code and support it from some other site
>(wiki, forum, whatever), but they'd lose the support of the core team in
>doing so.

Why on earth would you fork the code over something as trivial as the
methodology used for tracking bugs/feature requests.  If you feel a
feature you want isn't getting implemented, then implement it
yourself.   If you can't implement it yourself then forking isn't going
to get you anywhere.