SHN (Re: [mythtv] [ANNOUNCE] torrentocracy = rss + bit torrent + myth)

Charles Lavin myth at charleylavin.com
Mon Jun 21 01:56:01 EDT 2004

On Mon, 2004-06-21 at 00:03, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 20, 2004 at 11:32:35PM -0500, Charles Lavin wrote:
>
> > Sure.  While I'm at it, I'll get them all to switch to Linux.  I'm a
> > programmer not a codec pusher.
>
> If you're a programmer, then you could implement it rather than dreaming
> about "now if we could only...".  It wouldn't be difficult.

No it wouldn't be that hard.  I looked at the code before but opted not
to due to the fact that mfd is scheduled for Myth 16.

> But it would be a waste of time.  SHN is obsolescent.

Totally agree.  Seek tables?

> > Tapers are set in their ways and are unlikely to change overnight.  Just
> > because something is obviously better doesn't mean people are going to
> > jump on the bandwagon.  If etree made the switch to pushing flac instead
> > of shn then tapers might start follow suit.  Until that happens we are
> > stuck with SHN. Come to think of it, even if every taper in the world
> > switched to flac there would still be a need for shorten support in Myth.
> > There are thousands of shows already encoded in SHN.  Should they all be
> > converted to flac?  Don't see that happening.
>
> etree is interested in FLAC already.
>
> http://wiki.etree.org/index.php?page=FLAC

Many of the new downloads on etree are in flac but most of the older
stuff is in shorten.

> But it doesn't really matter what all the "tapers" do, really.  Converting
> between lossless compression formats is trivial, so you're free to move from
> a less capable one to a more capable one at any time.  I'm sure that someone
> has already written and published the 2-line shell script so that you don't
> need to even think.  You aren't "stuck" with anything.

Trivial but also time consuming.  shntool conv -o flac *.shn does the
trick.  It would nice to be able to download it and forget about it.  My
roommate converts them to wav and then burns everything to CD.  He
spends at least a few hours a day dealing with that BS.  I just want
things to be as simple as possible.  After all that is why we use myth
right?

> But I don't need to tell you any of this.  You're a programmer, and pretty
> soon you'll be sending in a patch for SHN support.
>
> Don't see that happening.

Your right about that.  I use freevo for my music collection.  It allows
me to play my roommates collection without having to make a bunch of
symbolic links.  I'm also a graduate student with very little free
time(ie homework, programs, tests, job hunting).

Sorry if I came off like a jerk.  Didn't mean to.