SHN (Re: [mythtv] [ANNOUNCE] torrentocracy = rss + bit torrent + myth)

Matt Zimmerman mdz at
Mon Jun 21 01:03:08 EDT 2004

On Sun, Jun 20, 2004 at 11:32:35PM -0500, Charles Lavin wrote:

> Sure.  While I'm at it, I'll get them all to switch to Linux.  I'm a
> programmer not a codec pusher.

If you're a programmer, then you could implement it rather than dreaming
about "now if we could only...".  It wouldn't be difficult.

But it would be a waste of time.  SHN is obsolescent.

> Tapers are set in their ways and are unlikely to change overnight.  Just
> because something is obviously better doesn't mean people are going to
> jump on the bandwagon.  If etree made the switch to pushing flac instead
> of shn then tapers might start follow suit.  Until that happens we are
> stuck with SHN. Come to think of it, even if every taper in the world
> switched to flac there would still be a need for shorten support in Myth.
> There are thousands of shows already encoded in SHN.  Should they all be
> converted to flac?  Don't see that happening.

etree is interested in FLAC already.

But it doesn't really matter what all the "tapers" do, really.  Converting
between lossless compression formats is trivial, so you're free to move from
a less capable one to a more capable one at any time.  I'm sure that someone
has already written and published the 2-line shell script so that you don't
need to even think.  You aren't "stuck" with anything.

But I don't need to tell you any of this.  You're a programmer, and pretty
soon you'll be sending in a patch for SHN support.

Don't see that happening.

 - mdz