[mythtv] suggestion for rewinding in mythtv

Tako Schotanus quintesse at palacio-cristal.com
Wed Jun 9 19:52:40 EDT 2004

Derek Atkins wrote:

>Tako Schotanus <quintesse at palacio-cristal.com> writes:
>

>>Derek Atkins wrote:
>>    As an example -- my wife has been watching the WGBH Auction -- it's a
>>    live program requiring real-time phone-in, so there is very little
>>    reason to record it (but lots of reasons to pause, rewind, and then
>>    catch up again).  Yes I still have other programs scheduled for
>>    recording, so it would be nice to tell the system to go record them on
>>    different input cards and leave me in livetv.
>>
>>I agree, but this is an entirely different issue. The question was why the
>>ringbuffer is cleared when changing channels while your's has to do with the
>>scheduler not being able to adjust to the fact that the tuner it wants is occupied
>>while another tuner is still available.
>>

>Of course..  But this was in response to your suggestion that the
>channel-change warning can go away.  I was pointing out that no, it
>can't (nor should it).

And I was pointing out that it could go away for the case where your
just behind live tv, because changing the channel wouldn't mean losing
the "backlog" anymore because it would still be in the buffer. So even
if you change channels by accident and get bumped to the end (current
time) of live tv you could still just rewind to the point where you hit
the channel change button. So no warning message is needed here at all IMO.

>>So yes, in that particular circumstance the message is still usefull (although
>>personally I think the scheduler should first see if it can just switch the program
>>to the other tuner without any conflicts, but if that's too much work I would be
>>just as happy with your suggestion).
>>

>I would certainly be happy with the scheduler being smarter and
>auto-adjusting the recordings around livetv, too..  But again, we're
>talking about two separate issues, the ringbuffer clear and the livetv
>scheduler.

Well you brought up the scheduler by talking about a recording being
scheduled interfering with the fact that you're behind live tv. As far
as I know you will have this problem even if the program being scheduled
is on the same channel, you'll just get the messaga that Myth wants to
start a recording but that you're hogging the tuner it wants to use.

So the channel change message could still be removed but I agree that
extending the message that asks you if you want to a) keep watching live
tv b) go record the scheduled program  with option c) please use other
tuner could be a good idea.

Cheers,
-Tako