[mythtv] suggestion for rewinding in mythtv

Tako Schotanus quintesse at palacio-cristal.com
Wed Jun 9 04:52:22 EDT 2004

Derek Atkins wrote:

>Damion de Soto <damion at snapgear.com> writes:
>

>>Hendrik,
>>

>>>It still should be possible to rewind after switching the
>>>tv-channel. That makes it possible to look if there is something
>>>else on tv at a different channel first, before watching a recorded
>>>livestream-buffer from an hour ago.
>>>

>>I've thought about this a few times, and rewinding over channel changes does
>>seem a bit strange, but I think it could work.
>>
>>I guess you've got to then decide which channel the 'live' tv stream
>>should still be on, and what then happens if you try and change
>>channels again whilst in a previously rewound stream (that already
>>contains a channel change).
>>Does it go to the end of the current 'live recording' and change channels there,
>>or should it cut-out what's currently in between what's currently
>>being watched, and real-time.
>>
>>lots of confusing and non-intuitive decisions.
>>

>Doesn't seem confusing to me at all.. Indeed I found the existing
>behavior to be non-intuitive..  If you consider the input to be a
>stream, a channel change is just something that happens "upstream"
>from mythtv..  I.e., it's just performing a bunch of read()s from the
>video device, and a channel change is just an ioctl() to the device.
>The fact that the frontend is "behind" real-time shouldn't matter.
>IMHO a channel change should just continue from where in the ring
>buffer it was already writing.
>
>In other words, the videocard input should always put data at the
>end of the ring buffer.  Channel changes shouldn't affect that.
>Where the frontend is reading from the ringbuffer shouldn't affect
>that, either.
>
>As the channel change is just an ioctl I've always found it strange
>that the ringbuffer resets itself during a channel change.

If I remember correctly it actually was like this a long time ago and it
was changed to this for a reason.

But I could have been high on something and imagined the whole thing.

Isaac should know though. Isaac? :-)

-Tako

PS: I had been wondering about this as well because it would also take
away the need for the channel change warning if you're behind live tv
(you might want to jump to the end of the stream though).