[mythtv] [PATCH] Manage recordings screen

Tako Schotanus quintesse at palacio-cristal.com
Wed Jul 7 10:22:58 EDT 2004

Kevin Kuphal wrote:

> Tako Schotanus wrote:
>> Kevin Kuphal wrote:
>>> This patch changes the Delete Recordings screen to Manage Recordings 
>>> and modifies the action menus accordingly.
>>> - The language translations for "Manage" need to be updated for all 
>>> languages other than English
>>> - Watch Recordings INFO menu consists only of Play and Cancel now
>>> - Manage Recordings INFO menu consists of Stop Recording, toggle 
>>> Auto Expire, Change Recording Group, Edit Recording Schedule, 
>>> Start/Stop Transcode, and Start/Stop Commercial Flag.
>>> - Play is only available on Watch and Delete is only available on 
>>> Manage
>>> - SELECT will Play on Watch and Delete on Manage
>>> If this is acceptable and is applied, then I'll resubmit my patches 
>>> for Play from Beginning and Clear Bookmarks on the Watch Recordings 
>>> screen.  Any suggestions as to other arrangements of buttons are of 
>>> course welcome.  I think maybe it would be nice to see a "Jump to 
>>> Manage" button from the Watch screen and visa-versa to ease the 
>>> transition for users accustomed to all the items on one menu.
>> Well personally I don't mind about all the other options because I agree
>> that the menu was getting a bit large, but removing the Delete from that
>> menu does bother me a bit. For me my normal way of using MythTV is:
>> - sit down on the couch
>> - grab remote
>> - go to Watch Recordings
>> - watch whatever I like
>> - delete what I just watched
>> I think that having to go to another screen and look for the program I
>> just watched to delete it makes it way too difficult to use.
>> And I don't have a Delete button on my remote so that's not an option
>> either. (Almost the only buttons we use here are INFO, ESC, UP, DOWN,
>> And if the _only_ option that has been taken from the Manage Recordings
>> screen is the Play option I would rather just stick it back and use
>> MangeRecordings from now on as my main screen.
>> Another option would be to have some simple way to switch between the
>> two screens while your currently selected program remains selected but
>> that sounds a bit like a hack. Besides the fact that deleting a program
>> would now take even more steps.
>> So I guess I would suggest at least to put the most used options on the
>> Watch Recordings screen and put anything else on the Manage Recordings
>> screen. But I see no easy solution for the fact that if you are in the
>> Watch screen and decide you want to start transcoding that you have to
>> go to another screen and look for the same recording there to do it.
>> Are we sure that making an "Advanced Options" item in the menu isn't
>> much eaier?
> Issac isn't so keen on an Advanced Options idea.  Do you use the 
> "prompt on playback exit" option to give you the option to Delete when 
> the playback ends?  That functionality remains the same and can be 
> used to delete the recording when it ends, just not as a housekeeping 
> task on the INFO menu.
Advanced Options: I know, I'm not sure I like it either, but too be 
honest I like the new idea even less :-/

Prompt on exit: no, because I hate having a popup in my face each time I 
exit. First of all because I tend to play a lot to see if it actually 
recorded from the beginning or if it still has the ending of the 
previous program (lot's of back-to-back recordings, especially since one 
channel now has a sci-fi night each week :-) and secondly because with 
the new left/right selection system (which I like btw) I often play 
programs by mistake.

And as a reply to Dave's message you say that Play still plays 
recordings in the Mange Recordings screen I would have to iterate what I 
said before: we only use INFO, ESC, U/L/D/R and ENTER and are very happy 
that everything can be done very easily this way in the current situation.

I would also like to affirm my belief that _eveything_ that is possible 
to do with keyboard shortcuts in any particular screen should also be 
possible by using the menu.

But do you personally see any solution for the other problem I 
mentioned? How to easily get to the same program in both screens? 
Currently I just look up the same program again in teh Delete screen for 
those very rare ocasions that I want to know how large a program is. But 
if I have to make the switch much more often it would be nice to get to 
the same program rapidly.


More information about the mythtv-dev mailing list