[mythtv] CVS CPU usage

Andrew Mahone andrewmahone at eml.cc
Sun Feb 22 04:52:08 EST 2004

On Sunday 22 February 2004 04:13, steve at nexusuk.org wrote:
 > Hmm.. I'll try turning that off and see if it helps.  What is it supposed
> to do anyway?

Bt8x8 chips capture video that does not conform to ITU R.601 specs.  These
specs define the valid range for luma data as 16-235, and for chroma data as
16-240.  The ranges of values in video captures by bt8x8 chips is 16-243 for
luma, and 2-253 for chroma.  This can make bright parts of images appear
washed out, and colors can be off a bit as well.  To see the difference a bit
more clearly, try using tvtime, which has a similar filter that can be turned
on and off while viewing.

> My Live TV profile is set to a higher quality than the normal recording
> profiles, but until I upgraded to CVS it wasn't a problem.  I wasn't
> expecting to need a 150% increase in processor power to use the new
> version.  :(

I'm not sure what the cause is, I haven't noticed a major myself.  If you're
not using any filters of your own, deleting the libadjust.so lib, or moving
it to another directory will prevent the filter from loading.  Doing this
will also prevent any other filters from loading.  You could try recording
with no filters vs with the auto-loaded adjust filter to see if it helps.  I
suspect the difference may be something else, though, because when I
benchmarked the adjust filter with the default settings, it was quite fast.
--
Andrew Mahone
andrewmahone AT eml DOT cc