[mythtv] MythTV install with DVR -250

Jarod C. Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Fri Feb 13 23:57:19 EST 2004

On Feb 13, 2004, at 19:45, Mark R. Hinkle wrote:

> I am buidling my second MythTV box(first one needs to go back to a
> workstation) and I am in dire need of assistance. I have been at this
> for days with no luck and I sincerely woud appreciate any guidance
> even if it's to anothe forum but frankly I just don't know where would
> be better than here.
>
> I am giving a short synopsis here but I have included every detail iin
> a web page with my steps and the diagnostics I have done to date but
> complete information and diagnostics(modprobe, lspci and the like) are
> at http://mrhinkle.home.mindspring.com/myth/documentation.html . The
> short story is that I have been through Jarod's FAQ three times
> without success. I have confindence that once I overcome the hardware
> problem everything else is a piece of cake. I am just not sure what
> might be the problem.
>
> I have installed Fedora Core 1 on the following hardware - Chaintech
> 7VFI4, AMD Thunderbird 2200+, Radeon 9000 Pro(for video out), Hauppage
> WinTV-250 (for video capture), 512MB RAM, 200GB IDE hard drive.
>
> I have gone through the whole FAQ sequencially before but now I am
> trying just to verify everything works hardware wise before
> configuring myth. This time I did the following
>
> Installed Fedora
> Installed the ATRPMs kernel
> Installed the  ivtv drivers
> Edited my modules.conf
> Made sure I had /dev/video0 and it was accessible to anyone
>
> I have done the following as well
>
> cat /dev/video0 > test.mpg
>
> Yields a blank screen.
>
> And to test that the card works I am using xawtv and tired TvTime .
> When I run xawtv I get  t he following :
> This is xawtv-3.91, running on Linux/i686
> (2.4.22-1.2166.nptl_35.rhfc1.at)
> /dev/video0 [v4l2]: no overlay support
> v4l-conf had some trouble, trying to continue anyway
> ioctl:
> VIDIOC_ENUM_FMT(index=0;type=VIDEO_CAPTURE;flags=0;description="";
> pixelformat=0x00000000 [....]): Inappropriate ioctl for device
> v4l2: read: rc=8128/size=221184
>
> Where am I going wrong?

 From above, you say "The short story is that I have been through
Jarod's FAQ three times without success."

Um, you haven't been following my doc very carefully if you're trying
to use xawtv with a PVR-250 card. It doesn't work, and nowhere do I say
to try using xawtv with a PVR-x50 card. You said you saw a blank screen
when running "cat /dev/video0 > test.mpg". That's correct. You're doing
nothing more than dumping video off the card into a file called
test.mpg. You have to then play that file back to see and hear
something. Try "mplayer test.mpg", just like it says to do in my doc,
right after the cat part...

Copied verbatim from my doc: "...Now hook up your cable or antenna to
the WinTV PVR-250's tuner input if you haven't already done so, and
we'll try to capture some video... Press Ctrl-C to stop the video
capture.
# cat /dev/video0 > /tmp/test_capture.mpg
(ctrl-c to stop capture)

Use that copy of mplayer you installed a bit ago to view the capture:
# mplayer /tmp/test_capture.mpg"

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE

Got a question? Read this first...