[mythtv] MythTV install with DVR -250

Mark R. Hinkle mrhinkle at mindspring.com
Fri Feb 13 22:45:46 EST 2004

Hello,

I am buidling my second MythTV box(first one needs to go back to a workstation) and I am in dire need of assistance. I have been at this for days with no luck and I sincerely woud appreciate any guidance even if it's to anothe forum but frankly I just don't know where would be better than here.

I am giving a short synopsis here but I have included every detail iin a web page with my steps and the diagnostics I have done to date but complete information and diagnostics(modprobe, lspci and the like) are at http://mrhinkle.home.mindspring.com/myth/documentation.html . The short story is that I have been through Jarod's FAQ three times without success. I have confindence that once I overcome the hardware problem everything else is a piece of cake. I am just not sure what might be the problem.

I have installed Fedora Core 1 on the following hardware - Chaintech 7VFI4, AMD Thunderbird 2200+, Radeon 9000 Pro(for video out), Hauppage WinTV-250 (for video capture), 512MB RAM, 200GB IDE hard drive.

I have gone through the whole FAQ sequencially before but now I am trying just to verify everything works hardware wise before configuring myth. This time I did the following

Installed Fedora
Installed the ATRPMs kernel
Installed the  ivtv drivers
Edited my modules.conf
Made sure I had /dev/video0 and it was accessible to anyone

I have done the following as well

cat /dev/video0 > test.mpg

Yields a blank screen.

And to test that the card works I am using xawtv and tired TvTime . When I run xawtv I get  t he following :
This is xawtv-3.91, running on Linux/i686 (2.4.22-1.2166.nptl_35.rhfc1.at)
/dev/video0 [v4l2]: no overlay support
v4l-conf had some trouble, trying to continue anyway
ioctl: VIDIOC_ENUM_FMT(index=0;type=VIDEO_CAPTURE;flags=0;description="";pixelformat=0x00000000 [....]): Inappropriate ioctl for device
v4l2: read: rc=8128/size=221184

Where am I going wrong?

Thanks in advance.

Mark