[mythtv] Re:Proposed scheduler patch

Mark Chou mechou at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 12 12:04:01 EST 2004

The fundamental issue for me in multiple tuner conflict resolution (as
of .13 & .14) is that there is isn't an *automatic* way to tell myth
"use all available tuners in case of conflicts."   Instead when there
are conflicts it chooses to defer a (repeat) recording on a specific
tuner instead of using a free tuner to record at the earliest opportunity.

Now, some people have said that this is to leave a tuner free for live
TV purposes, but for people who no longer watch live TV (since myth does
time shifting), there at least ought to be an option in myth for users
to "use all available tuners in case of conflicts," rather than leaving
tuners free as the default behavior.  Instead, manual intervention is
always required....

Derek Atkins wrote:

> PS. Most people seem to forget that cards ALREADY have a priority. The
> priority is card-id number, lowest ID has highest priority for the
> scheduler.

Yes, but there is no way to mark cards as "equivalent". If you have
multiple pvr-x50 cards why rank them? I don't care if a recording is
on card 1, 2, or 3 -- they are effectively the same.