[mythtv] Re: Software AC3 decoding when watching TV

Taylor Jacob rtjacob at earthlink.net
Thu Dec 16 05:54:41 UTC 2004

> Does it have to be replaced or can't we just record TS. That would
> make many things easier. What is the problem with TS?

I have done some thinking about this, and after some thought I agree that there
is no reason why just recording a TS isn't the right thing to do..

To make the pes requiring devices work ok a ts->pes transform would need to be
done on the fly to the ringbuffer while its being served to the device.. This
would also be mandatory for the pvr350 as far as I know..

Recording ATSC AC3 will be broken without doing it this way.. Juha said he would
have a MUCH easier time doing subtitles as well so I am completely sold.. Sorry
if I shot from the hip earlier.. Do you have a quick patch that I could make to
transform.c (since its your code) to make it dump an ATSC AC3 stream?  None of
ATSC channels ive watched have sound and I am pretty sure tranform just isn't
putting them in the ringbuffer since its looking for a differnet header than
PrivateStream..

The biggest issue right now is really time.. I want to get this code into
myth-cvs as soon as I can and doing TS recording may not fit at first.. I have
more than enough on my plate.. Its possible Jesper could do this, but I do not
set his schedule.. I know both John and I have tons of work to do before this
whole thing is ready..

Taylor