[mythtv] Myth Theme Memory Usage

Chris Tracy mythtv at adiemus.org
Fri Dec 3 03:15:20 UTC 2004

Myth in CVS uses an gargantuan amount of RAM in certain themes.  I'm
installing a mythbox for a friend on a system with 256MB and noticed
sluggishness just moving around the menus.  Turns out it was trashing the
disk before myth had even finished loading.  Ran a test on a single
instance of mythfrontend, just cycling through the themes.  Here's the
memory stats as reported by top after the theme finished loading
completely:

              SIZE   RSS  SHARE
GANT:         105M  100M    10M
Blue:          34M   23M     9M
Titivillus:   143M  136M     7M

	I could just use blue, but the version of blue in CVS is, umm,
less-than-savory to my taste.  (Bring back blue-classic!  I've got it on
my main mythbox and don't know what I'm going to do next time I want to
push the latest CVS onto it.)  I guess I'll see if I can't retrofit an
older copy of blue into CVS current for now.  But I figured this memory
usage was extreme enough to count as a bug.

	Chris