[mythtv] [patch] Add screensaver status

Colin Guthrie myth at colin.guthr.ie
Thu Aug 19 05:19:20 EDT 2004

Neil Whelchel wrote:
> Hello,
> Well, here's the story... I am trying to get my MythTv install as small as
> possible. (I am using EPIA boards without any disk drives. Network boot.)

Hi, I'm doing the same!

Are you using MiniMyth? I started using this, but wanted my own control,
so built my own network linux system from scratch.

It's far from perfect (the whole chrooted building is slightly dodgee to
say the least), but it works for me!!

For what it's worth, I have a basic kernel+ramdisk which provides the
basic boot up, then it mounts a samba share (used samba so that a
Windoze machine could be used as the server, tho' probably not get the
TV stuff!) and opens a application.ext2 file on the share and loads the
second stage (which has X, Mplayer/Xine/VLC etc. etc. oh and Myth!!).

Could probably do it all in a ramdisk, but this way allows more crud to
be put into the app, without worrying too much about the size of the
ramdisk etc, which remains very small.

Feel free to contact me if you want to discuss anything further, or just
share tips.

Col.