[mythtv] PATCH: Don't hilight the selection in an inactive list

Bruce Markey bjm at lvcm.com
Sat Apr 24 17:39:53 EDT 2004

David Engel wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 23, 2004 at 03:48:26PM -0700, Bruce Markey wrote:
>
>>One thing I've always thought is that when you enter the playbox,
>>the focus should maybe initially be on the right. I often (and you
>>may too ;-) click Watch Recording and mindlessly start pressing
>>down only to find that I'm not going down the titles rather then
>>the All list. I grumble then go back up, right, then down.
>

> This is why I made PREVVIEW and NEXTVIEW scroll the up or down in the
> left column but return focus to the right column.  FWIW, the ultimate
> goal for my own version is to do away with the left column altogether
> and move the current left column item to the upper right like the
> other "view" displays.

I would have to agree in several ways. When John Danner added
the columns and wire frames for this and progfind, it was a big
step forward for the look and feel. However, the only thing the
left column has ever been used for is a view of the list sorted
by starttime and views per each title. I don't really find a
view per title all that useful and I think we would be better
served by one view of the list sorted by title. Therefore, just
removing the left column and having a time sort view and a title
sort view would be better than it is right now.

You added the view keys shortly before Chris added the recording
groups. To me, recgroups are just another set of views. I remember
(and, yes, I know your memory is failing ;-) that we had talked
about contacting Chris about what was happening with view keys on
other pages and how they would be useful for Chris but I think we
failed to communicate. I think PREVVIEW and NEXTVIEW would be best
served to switch between recgroups as things are right now.

If the left column was removed there would be more space for titles,
room to include the starttime and size on the same page (rather that
one on Watch and the other on Delete), possibly room for a status
indicator to show if auto-expire is on or off for example.

A view list for the current features would need to include sort by
time, sort by title, and subset per recording group. However,
other views may be useful such as sort by size, sort by category,
sort by station, subset for shows with auto-expire, subset without
auto-expire, etc. Possibly even store the priority at record time
in recorded and sort by priority so that your favorite shows appear
at the top. Using views as the premise of the playbox would make
it easier for people to add views that they may find useful.

I guess what I envision would be similar to, say, Search Listings->
Categories except a playbox list of recordings rather than proglist
search results from 'program'. The playbox could start at the sort
by time list (as always =) rather than the popup but Home and End
(PREVVIEW and NEXTVIEW) would step through the views and "M"enu
would popup a list of views that can be selected directly.

I'm sure your vision is different but may be similar, yes?

--  bjm