[mythtv] Watch/Delete Recordings

Kevin Kuphal kevin.kuphal at myrealbox.com
Mon Apr 19 10:03:55 EDT 2004

Comments inline

> >2.  Changes the action for SELECT from PLAY to INFO
> >
> So now we have to press select twice to play a recording?  Bad idea
> IMO.  Though the I do like the right arrow bringing up the
> info menu, so much so that I've been working on an "arrow acceleration"
patch that
> allows for that and other additional behaviors.

As someone else noted, play (at least on my system also) is bound to play
the recording.  I think this, for me, centers around making things a bit
easier on the newer end user, like myself, while also allowing for the most
configurability for the experienced user.  It is like the patch you
submitted to change the behavior of SELECT in the Program Guide.  In reading
your message last night and thinking about this, I think I'd like to see
something more along the lines of an option to control the SELECT behavior
here instead of changing the default.  Allow the user to choose between PLAY
and INFO and tailor the behavior to their habits.

> >I think also then we should move the Program Guide to the
> main TV menu under Watch TV

> So the program guide for scheduling recordings is moved out of the
> schedule recordings area and into the main TV section?

Here you assume that the program guide is primarily used for scheduling
recordings.  For myself at least, I never use the "Watch TV" option as it
simply just dumps me into the first channel and I ultimately back out to the
guide to see what is on.  To me, the program guide should be on that first
level making it quick and easy to see what is showing and either watch or
record things rather than having it one level down with the other, more
"advanced" searching options.

In thinking also about that SELECT behavior patch for the guide you
submitted, I thought there might be a better way here also.  If the program
selected is currently on TV, the select should tune to the channel.  If the
program selected is in the future, the select should bring up the record
options.  I'd even take it one step further and give the option (as I've
suggested for the Watch Recordings screen) where select can either bring up
record for future episodes or bring up a menu with choices like Tune to this
channel, Record this show, Find upcoming episodes, Exit.  Along the same
lines, we should ensure (I think it already does) that Record always brings
up the record options.

What I'm getting at is a system where by default the SELECT key is the
action key.  It presents the user with choices.  There are other keybindings
for the choices (for quick action) and an option in the setup to control
whether the SELECT key brings up the menu or it defaults to a particular
choice.  I think this gives us the most flexibility as well as explicitly
showing the new user all the choices available to them instead of expecting
them to hunt/find them.

Kevin