[mythtv] Stop recording patch and some small fixes

Tako Schotanus quintesse at palacio-cristal.com
Thu Sep 18 16:19:25 EDT 2003

Philippe C.Cattin wrote:

>> But there are a couple of things that I have no answer to:
>> 1. maybe there is already something like the SimpleMythPopup that I
>> just don't know about (but then again, neither did the playbackbox'
>> original author in that case (you?)). If so please tell me so I can
>> take my stuff out and use whatever is the standard.
>> 2. if nothing like it exists it could maybe be useful to others and
>> should therefore be moved to a more central place, but that's up to
>> you to decide I think.
>> 3. right now I haven't even put the class in its own file! I feel
>> strongly that it should at least be put in its own files but then
>> again you might feel even stronger about _not_ doing that ;-)
>

> I had a similar idea while adding more features to my mythbrowser
> module. I just didn't have enough buttons to map all the features I
> wanted to the keyboard. I thus came to the conclusion that some kind
> of popup menu is needed.
>
> I thus like Tako's idea very much but I would go even a step further:
>
> Here comes my vision of a myth popup menu:
>
> - Menuitems should not only be limited to Labels/Images but it should
>   also be possible the e.g. change their value with the left/right
>   buttons. In particular I thought of
>
>     + binary option with a checkmark
>     + value options such as volume/brightness/color/zoom-level...
>
>   this way we would for example control the livetv settings without all
>   the F-keys from a simple menu!

Exactly what I had been thinking, the labels and buttons were all I
needed currently but they could easily be expanded to allow more types
of widgets.
They only thing that seems important is KISS.

> - Here comes the real nice part! It should be possible to map each menu
>   items left/right actions to a key via a text config file. The user can
>   therefore map e.g. the volume control to two keys of his choice on the
>   keyboard and therefore define some kind of a short-cut to the menu. If
>   one could subsequently hide such a keyboard-mapped option from the
>   popup menu would of course be nice too.
>
> If all myth keyboard actions are defined in such a popup menu, that
> can tailer it to his needs and to suit his remote. It should even be
> possible to control myth with only the cursor keys, a menu key and the
> activation key.
>
> I posted the same text on a new thread called 'MythPopupMenu' because
> I think the issue is to important to be burried in a deeply nested
> thread.

This last part seems quite complex and I doubt if it should be part of
any kind of Dialog class, it seems more like something that should be
handled in a more global way. (A dialog noramlly is something very local
and exists only for a short time).

Cheers,
 -Tako