[mythtv] 'recommendations' section

Martin Moeller martin at martinm-76.dk
Tue Sep 16 23:36:09 EDT 2003

man, 2003-09-15 kl. 15:49 skrev Joseph A. Caputo:
[talk about category feeds]
> Any ideas on where to get this info and how to integrate it into the listings
> grabber?  There's also the issue of correlating program information.  The
> same program may be listed under different names by different
> providers/sources (i.e., "Star Trek:Deep Space Nine" vs. "Star Trek - Deep
> Space Nine" vs just "Deep Space Nine").  Also, given the international
> nature of the Myth community, how do you (automatically) correlate ratings
> for the same show when the title has been translated into a different
> language?

I haven't done much testing on American feeds, but on the scandinavian
feeds, while no explicit category is set, usually parsing the
description field will give you a keyword or two to get to one.
I have a (very crude) shell script that I run after importing data into
myth on 'reexported' SQL data that I then modify and reinsert based on
the description field. While crude, it does work rather well. It could
do with some optimization though, some of which have already been done
with the category_type field (i.e. if something is a movie or a series
we want to know if it's an action-movie, a comedy series, etc...)

I have no doubt that my implementation can be improved upon immensely
and currently it is only really working if you have the database field
in exactly the same order that I do (but it's easy to adjust).

In the Danish feed from tv.tv2.dk, the original title of the movie is
given (rarely on series, though). It basically looks like this:

    <title lang="dk">Sidste nat med kliken</title>
    <title>American Graffiti</title>
    <sub-title lang="dk">American Graffiti</sub-title>

The last one I added to actually get to see it, since myth doesn't have
a field for this (yet?). Which reminds me that it would be really nice
if, in addition to sub-title, we could have an 'episode' field where the
episode number could be provided.

I have data looking like this:

    <title lang="dk">Quincy</title>
    <sub-title lang="dk">Episode 14</sub-title>
    <desc lang="dk">Amerikansk krimiserie. Der er kommet et levende lig
ind på retsmedicinsk. Hvordan kommer hun der? Hvem har bragt hende ind
? Måske behøver dr. Quincy slet ikke at være til stede i denne
sag.</desc>
    <episode-num system="all_seasons">13</episode-num>

Again, sub-title is my addition because I want this information show and
haven't yet tried to persuade someone to get it done (I'm not ruling out
that I might be able to myself, but it sure would take quite a long time
compared to the more adept C++ coders on here).

If there isn't an episode-num in the feed, simply NULL the entry.
Maybe the best way to show it would be one of:

Subtitle: <something> (14) - or - Subtitle : <someting> - #14

What do you guys think?

I'd be happy to have my categorization script included in contrib or
something, but I'm guessing most people would say it needs more work
first... It probably should at least match the official categories a
little better than it currently does and it *will* have wrong categories
on some shows presently, even though the wrong category can actually be
quite descriptive of that episode or movie...

Martin Moeller <martin at martinm-76.dk>