[mythtv] Building myth static for debug

Geoffrey Hausheer ou401cru02 at sneakemail.com
Tue Sep 16 15:04:34 EDT 2003

In my latest round of debugging, I found that valgrind and gdb don't play
too nice with LD_LIBRARY_PATH.  i have no idea why that may be, but they
can't seem to correctly build back-traces when I set that variable.
Since I've been testing the changes which affect libmyth, and only on the
frontend, I didn't want to intall my (likely buggy) libmyth, and
potentially ruin my backend.  My solution is to build libmyth into a .a
file, and statically link programs/* against it.  Today I just do this by
hand, but it would be easy enough to have a 'static' or 'debug' target,
such that 'make static, or 'make debug' would compile statically compiled
programs.  Of course there is no reason to implement this if others won't
find it useful, so i thought I'd poll and see if there is any interest.

.Geoff