[mythtv] Channel change speed

Boyd II, Willy wboyd at fulbright.com
Thu Sep 11 13:36:40 EDT 2003

While I do disagree with Mike's particular tack (most small OSS projects
aren't designed with the intention of "making it" or being accepted
by the general public, and I agree wholeheartedly with Isaac's view
that being his pet project, he really doesn't what other's opinions of it
are)

That being said, I think the biggest reason there's debate back-n-forth on
this issue
is that key developers see this complaint as merely a "user preference".
Not a bug, never!
And that's fine...  there's always someone that's going to say "aw, why's it
slow" when in fact it isn't.  In Drew's case (under a second), it's NOT
slow.  It will never be instant.  Drew doesn't see a problem, so there is no
problem [to him].

But for me (and apparently others), it literally takes 4-5 seconds to change
channel, and I'm not exaggerating.  I never said this was definitely due to
a bug -- I never said it was for sure Myth's fault.  Yes maybe the perl
script for my external tuner is slowing it down (although when I do test the
script by hand from the command line it takes a fraction of a second to
change channels...)  Yes for some it could be network latency (but I'm using
only one box)  Yes maybe my DB is slow (but it's on the same box and screams
for Apache).  The point is, by simply saying "it's not slow for us, so go
away or fix it for yourself" you sound like you assume it's not really a
problem and therefore refuse to talk about it.

On the other hand suggestions like Matt's (C channel change) are much much
more helpful, so I'm glad that was posted, because I hadn't come across it
yet.  Something I can look into tonight.

I will however look into the code for myth as well, no help from current
developers,
and maybe I'll find out for myself that it's just plain IMPOSSIBLE myth is
slow at changing channels for some machines/configurations... but until then
I'm willing to discuss it and have my own open dialog for anyone else who
cares to talk about it.

- Willy