[mythtv] Channel change speed

Boyd II, Willy wboyd at fulbright.com
Wed Sep 10 16:33:32 EDT 2003

Ok I'm going to chime in here with a "me too" saying that this is very much
something I'd like to see as well, so much though that I'll say here & now
I'll start sometime this week at getting up to speed with the code, and see
what I can come up with.  This will be my first attempt at improving on a
project like this, but I've wanted to contribute to something like this for
a while.  And the channel-change issue (along with my crappy kt133 chipset)
is the single solitary reason I won't let myself try to show off MythTV to
any of my less-technical friends.

This is mainly in response to the standard disclaimer: "If someone submits a
patch it will get fixed".  Wow what a no-brainer:  of course if a patch is
submitted then one can logically assume a fix will eventually follow ;-)  I
think a more constructive response (which no-doubt has already been posted,
before the flames start ;-) is something like "it's really hard to do
because _____  but if you or anyone else wants to figure that out, please
do..."  OR "it's not hard but we like it the slow way because _______ "
(separate frontend / backend over network) "... but if you want to submit a
patch to make that an option go ahead..."  I think it's easy to get tired of
answering the same old questions, but for new list users it's also easier to
send an email than search the Gossamer archive so people tend to communicate
rather than go read...

I think I remember reading something about the ringbuffer not really being a
"ring" right now... if that can work will that help?  I also wonder about
somehow flagging the channel change in the buffer, so you can keep on
buffering, just the REW will know not to spill over into the previous
channel data.

Again I'll start reading code so I can do my part, just some thoughts...

- Willy