[mythtv] What format are the transcoded files in?(was: RE: transcoding mpeg2 -> mpeg2)

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Mon Oct 6 10:52:03 EDT 2003

On Sunday 05 October 2003 12:36 pm, Geoffrey Hausheer wrote:
> On Sat, 04 Oct 2003 16:08:06 +0200, "Torsten Schenkel
> torsten.schenkel-at-web.de |mythtv/1.0-Allow|"
> <j19fhm6efm0t at sneakemail.com> said:
> > Hi,
> >
> > still playing with transcode. I set transcoding to mpeg4 getting nice
> > 1GB/hour files that play nicely from mythtv. However mplayer or xine
> > only see an audio file, which when they start to play it only crackles
> > in the speakers. I dont't have any problems playing other divx3/4/5 or
> > vidx files in mplayer, so there seems to be some header info missing, or
> > the files aren't mpeg4 as they're supposed to be.
>
> > Am I missing something, or is it a bug?
> > (Most likely I'm missing something, so please point me in the right
> > direction)
>
> This is how it is supposed to work.  Mpeg4/rtjpeg is just the codec.  It
> has nothing to do with the container used for storing video.  The
> container is nuppelvideo (with changes made by Isaac and others).
> Mplayer needs a patch to play these files.  I don't think there is a
> patch for xine.

NOTE: The patch for MPlayer no longer works for either the current Myth .nuv
format, or the current MPlayer source.  So, basically, there is no patch
anymore.

> If you want to make divx/xvid or something comaptible
> with other players, you'll need to try some of the 3rd party utilities
> like mythencode.  The downside is you won't bve able to play these
> recordings with myth (unless you use mythvideo)

The only think that works is to have a 0.11 or later Myth w/mythtranscode and
use the nuvexport Perl script.  Unless you have a PVR-x50, in which case you
can use anything you want.

-JAC