[mythtv] Stretching to 16:9 ?

Oscar Carlsson oscar.carlsson at home.se
Wed Oct 1 00:21:27 EDT 2003

Hello Mark,

>> > Does this fix broadcasts that are what me and my flat-mates would call
>> > "4:3 broadcast in widescreen", i.e. when you have black bars all round a
>> > picture?
>>
>> Sadly not.  I'm not quite sure what the point of the new mode in CVS
>> is?  It appears (at least on my system) to only offer a mode to
>> stretch the picture to full height, but without altering the width.

MJT> I added the 16:9/4:3 toggle patch to cope with the following case:

MJT> I have my digital STB set to "show widescreen picture as 16:9"
MJT> (ie. anamorphic widescreen).  This is as opposed to "show widescreen
MJT> picture as 4:3 letterbox" (ie. letterbox widescreen). This causes the
MJT> picture to be displayed as a 16:9 image whether the destination is a
MJT> 4:3 TV, 4:3 capture card (DC10+) or 16:9 TV.

MJT> 4:3 devices display a vertically squashed picture, 16:9 devices
MJT> display a widescreen picture.

MJT> When myth is playing back a 16:9 video captured on my 4:3 capture
MJT> device to be displayed on a 16:9 device all is well and good because I
MJT> can set the device to 16:9 mode (eg. my widescreen TV).  However when
MJT> displaying the picture on a 4:3 device (eg. my monitor) I get a
MJT> vertically squashed picture.

MJT> In short: I added the mode so that I can squash the picture vertically
MJT> from 4:3 to 16:9 and display the widescreen picture on my 4:3 display
MJT> device with black bars at the top and bottom.

I still think that this mode in Myth is very confusing, and its really caused by
you  setting  up  your  cable  box  wrong,  right? It's like a rare special case
scenario that doesn't even _need_ to come up in the first place.

At  least  a  better  description than "W to toggle between 4:3 aspect ratio and
16:9" could be in place imo.

But, that's just what me thinks.

--
Best regards,