[mythtv] Backend Hang with current CVS + current IVTV cvs (long)

Wayne Hogue w_hogue at hotmail.com
Sun Nov 16 06:13:47 EST 2003

>I upgraded mythtv and ivtv to current CVS today, and it's seemed
>pretty unstable.  So far today it's crashed a number of times, and
>just now we were watching LiveTV and then it just hung completely.
>The frontend was sitting "waiting for data", but the backtrace was
>basically all 'nanosleep()' for all threads.  I killed the frontend,
>but then the backend hung!
>
>I have this in /var/log/messages:
>
>Nov 16 01:01:05 mythtv kernel: ivtv: silently returning
>Nov 16 01:01:07 mythtv last message repeated 63 times
>Nov 16 01:01:07 mythtv kernel: ivtv: DMA buffer DeQueue failed! got 1, want
>1
>Nov 16 01:01:07 mythtv kernel: ivtv: DEC: free_q: 0 elements
>Nov 16 01:01:07 mythtv kernel: ivtv: DEC: dma_q: 100 elements
>Nov 16 01:01:07 mythtv kernel: ivtv: DEC: full_q: 0 elements
>
>I see this in my mythbackend.log:
>
>2003-11-16 01:01:05 Changing from None to WatchingLiveTV
>Couldn't read data from the capture card in 15 seconds.  Game over, man.
>2003-11-16 02:08:05 Changing from WatchingLiveTV to None

the current ivtv is bugged where myth can only do a single record w/o having
to reload the driver.  I suspect you changed channels while watching live tv
which would also probably do it.  after the first read fron the device you
get those return silently messages and no data is captured.   Roll back to
10-31 on the ivtv cvs and it will fix that part.

-Wayne