[mythtv] SCHED_RR

Steve Hill steve at nexusuk.org
Sun Nov 16 05:04:53 EST 2003

Has anyone tried to make the time-critical threads in Myth (i.e. reading
from the TV card) run under the SCHED_RR scheduler?

I was having a go yesterday by setting SCHED_RR on line 915 of
NuppelVideoRecorder.cpp - just above "while (encoding) {", then setting
back to SCHED_OTHER at the end of the while loop.

The results were quite promising - it seemed to make the recorder much
more robust to stray processes trying to use too much CPU time.
Unfortunately, it caused my machine to lock up when changing channels.

I was wondering if anyone else had done any work on this before spending a
long time trying to debug the problem?

--

 - Steve                                             http://www.nexusuk.org/

        *** Presented in DoubleVision (Where Drunk) - Futurama ***