[mythtv] conflict resolution

Mon Nov 3 11:36:29 EST 2003

What if it goes for the exact match first if it exists and only does the fuzzy if the exact isn't there?  Wouldn't this work for you in the cases you describe...?

-----Original Message-----
From: Derek Atkins [mailto:warlord at MIT.EDU]
Sent: 03 November 2003 16:19
To: Development of mythtv
Subject: Re: [mythtv] conflict resolution

"Edward Wildgoose" <Edward.Wildgoose at FRMHedge.com> writes:

> I think that the fuzzy, give or take 1 hour strategy will work
> better, or perhaps even just skip the whole time thing and the match
> becomes "on this channel, on this day"?  Would make it difficult to
> record the "News" though... (or something else very generic)

just so long as it is configurable...  For example, I record the BBC
World News every morning at 8am.  However there are three broadcasts
every day, at 6, 7, and 8.  I don't want the 6 or 7 am broadcast, I
only want the 8am.  Oh, but I also want to record the 6pm broadcast...

Fuzzy matching probably wouldn't work in this case.

> It would be nice to get something which works quite nicely for most
> people though, *rather* than introduce yet more "record types".

Well, I just set up Channel record and leave it be.  Except for
certain cable channels (where I just set up a weekly record and pay
attention to the schedules) this seems to work pretty well for me.
The only time I really care about start times are:

1) When I want to record a program once (single-record).  In this case it's
   extremely unlikely that the program will have moved.
2) When there are multiple instances of a program and I want to specifically
   pick the instance I want (timeslot recording).  Note that in this case
   I would want a fuzzy match, but +/- an hour is way too much for my use case.

> Anyone else got a better idea than the fuzzy match to the nearest hour?

Unfortunately I don't.

-derek