[mythtv] Via EPIA M as a frontend, seperating the databases

Torsten Schenkel torsten.schenkel at web.de
Sat Nov 1 20:42:54 EST 2003

On Sun, 2003-11-02 at 01:22, mythdev at cue.cc wrote:

> > (I don't think they'll work any further on their drivers and xine
> > version).
> >

> Is this the official line?  Why would they (via) stop working on their
> linux compatability?  Is there anything from Via or their linux guys
> that would lead us to believe its a dead-end?

No, nothing official, just my impression (based on experience). VIA
started promising, with drivers and via Xine, but since then, nothing
new. When you compare that with the dynamics of open source development,
well ....

The VIA decoder works, but I had lots of prebuffering pauses with it.
Isaac said he wont work any more on CLE support in mythtv. I know VIA
adressed the community about developing drivers and support for the CLE
involving non disclosure acts, which isn't very opportune with open
source developers.

On the other hand, VIA announced a reference design for a multimedia box
based on the Epia and Linux, but if they will bring their efforts into
the "wild" or if this will be a proprietary solutio is another question.

Torsten