[mythtv] Ideal System For Getting Started.

Michael Pedersen michael.j.pedersen at verizon.net
Mon May 12 14:15:07 EDT 2003

On from work, so no GPG signature.

Would personal experience be of use in your quest? My experiences are
not exactly typical, but can tell you some of the pitfalls to avoid
(man, I'm good at finding problems to be dealt with!).

1) Capture Cards: Avoid the straight ATI All-In-Wonder Radeon. One of
the later models might be fine, but this particular card is poorly
supported under video4linux, which MythTV uses. In fact, the best advice
is to make sure that the capture card you get has good support for V4L.

2) Video Cards: Try to get one which has easy support for a tv out port.
  Again, the ATI All-In-Wonder Radeon is -=NOT=- a good choice for this.
After all, you're going to want to watch it on a regular tv sooner or
later, and you'll be happier then. Also make sure that it has Xvideo
support natively. Believe it or not, that makes a major performance
difference that can drastically affect playback of shows recorded while
watching other shows.

3) BB[HD&CPU&RAM] (where BB = Bigger/Better): The more the merrier. The
only caveat associated with this is to make sure that you are getting
IDE controllers which get as much speed as possible under your chosen
kernel. And yes, this DOES make a big difference. My hd went from about
20M/s to over 80M/s just with a few minor tweaks.

I know it's not as useful/comprehensive as you would have liked, but it
IS there, and might help with some research.