[mythtv] tiny code improvement.

Craig Longman craigl at begeek.com
Sun May 11 12:31:16 EDT 2003

michael at optusnet.com.au wrote:

>Isaac Richards <ijr at po.cwru.edu> writes:
>

>>On Saturday 10 May 2003 11:49 pm, michael at optusnet.com.au wrote:
>>

>>>Here a patch that starts what I'm talking about...
>>>See DiskLoop() and ReadAheadThread() for examples.
>>>I've not yet changed ::Read which would similarly
>>>shrink.
>>>

>>This breaks a number of things.  Instead of spending time on very marginal
>>cosmetic improvements and inane comments, why not spend your efforts on real
>>issues?
>>

>Had to start somewhere. This is the area which is causing me lots of
>problems. There are very real issues here.
>
>#1. Mythtv simply doesn't work when a remote machine is more than
>20ms away on network. It fails randomly when playing back.
>
>#2. Mythtv is very slow to change position. Skipping forward
>30sec or 10 min can take 10's of seconds.
>
>#3. Mythtv doesn't cope which high bitrate data streams. Using
>a 3 megabyte/sec video stream is enough to cause both recording
>and playback to choke.

not to mention the odd 'rebuffering' in the front end and 'stuffed up in
ringbuffer' problems that have forced me to take mythtv off of the main
tv (everyone else too frustrated when there were problems).  i'm to
trying figure out those two.

i must admit, as a complete newbie to the whole mythtv project, i also
found myself in that same cpp file looking for the things that ailed my
situation.  i think it needs more work than you might realise.

cheers,

    CraigL->Thx();