[mythtv] Bug Reports

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Thu May 8 22:14:23 EDT 2003

On Sat, May 03, 2003 at 01:40:11PM +1000, Shane Hyde wrote:
> Chris Pinkham wrote:
> >Was this a movie or a regular TV show with commercials that you
> >recorded?  I'm assuming it was a movie or you're non-US and the
> >channel didn't have blank frames separating commercials.
> >
> >Just curiosity on my part since I wrote the commercial detection stuff.

> I'm in Australia, and blank frame detection doesn't work for me at all.
> What's the threshold of blankness, ie
>
> * Watermarks
> * Fade in and out of blank frame.
> * Crosstalk/Noise on the cable line.
>
> I suspect all of these are causing me issues when detecting commercials.
>
> If you need me to test anything on Aus broadcasts, let me know, I'd be
> happy to help.

Suggestion: sometimes the contents and general makeup of the VBI
changes markedly, too (some master control switchers leak VITC, for
example, and it will likely jump from deck to deck).

An amusing project would be to build a "window burn" module that
decoded that timecode.  Being able to use it for commercial detection
would be a side effect.

(Being only a designer, but not a hardcore coder, I sometimes feel out
of place around here.  But it's still fun to watch.)

Cheers,
-- jra
Tampa Bay, Florida        http://baylink.pitas.com             +1 727 647 1274

   "If you don't have a dream; how're you gonna have a dream come true?"
     -- Captain Sensible, The Damned (from South Pacific's "Happy Talk")