[mythtv] Re: Adding DVB-T support to MythTV

Henk Poley hpoley at dds.nl
Sat Mar 22 08:20:22 EST 2003

> Van: Matthew S. Hallacy <poptix at techmonkeys.org>
>
> I do have some questions about the streams produced by the DVB cards:
>
> 1) If channels 100 through 120 are in the same 'block', then I change to
> channel '110' does the 'block' contain 110-130, or 100-120? If it's
> 100-120 then MythTV would have to know how the blocks are setup so that
> it can pick the proper stream ID, otherwise it could pick stream 0 and
> use it. (With added support for pseudo multiple tuners at a later point
> in time, assuming the other channels are within the same block)

This has all been explained before, somemonths ago though:
[note DVB-T is a european standard]

First you should know that Europe uses a different approach to
numbering/'naming' channels. In the US you need to remember the frequency.
In europe the frequences aren't handled nation wide (AFAIK), but adressed
by the local cable.

In Europe it is usual that you program a channel into one of the
channel-slots of your TV. This also adds the ability to 'compress' more
channels on the cable, since the frequency boundaries are quite broad. So
for example in Holland it would be [slot:name] 1:Ned1, 2:Ned2, etc. And in
the UK, 1:BBC1, 2:BBC2, etc. The order can be specified by the users taste
(nice for zapping across channels ;-)).

A DVB-T multiplex/stream (== one frequency) contains a list of what it
contains, probably even with a channel name ("BBC1"). So all you need to do
is index all viewable channels and put the channel details (frequency, ID,
name) in a database.

This is another reason to add a 'European style' numbering system to
MythTV. Or would you want to adress for example CNN as "2->12" [2 from 12]
or something?

	Henk Poley <><

PS: Could you put the US vs. Europe channel numbering stuff in the
mailinglist FAQ, if it exists?