[mythtv] brightness contrast etc.

Bruce Markey bjm at lvcm.com
Fri Mar 21 15:34:35 EST 2003

Brent Hills wrote:
> With xvattr/xvinfo there are two groups of settings one for
> "video-for-linux" ie the tuner card and one for my video card (ATI
> Radeon).

Hum, I think these are output adjustments and would only
be relevant for the output device.

> When running mythtv with the default color settings xvinfo reports
> outrageous values for the "video-for-linux" section (tuner card) (look
> back at the current value in my previous email or here is a briefer
> segment)
>
> Shorter excerpt from xvattr:
>
> Name: video4linux
>  Port: 59
>   Name: XV_BRIGHTNESS
>    Flags: XvGettable XvSettable
>    Min value: -1000
>    Max value: 1000
>    Current value: -1073744280

Sorry, I was focusing on having controls for v4l rather than
Xv...

> This makes me wonder whether the brightness and related calls used in
> mythtv are working as expected (ie. the values reported are rational
> when mythtv is not running)

If you watch live TV and change one of these settings
can you see the picture change? If so, the card is getting
valid values.

The v4l ioctls tell the card to change it's internal
registers in a range from 0-45k. These XV_ attributes seem
to be an unrelated + or - adjustment to fudge the display
during playback so these are two unrelated things. Does
the ATI card have attributes as below? It may simply be
setting the irrelevant output settings to -1073744280 for
an input only device.

--  bjm

: bjm at moktoo ; xvinfo
X-Video Extension version 2.2
screen #0
   Adaptor #0: "ATI Rage128 Video Overlay"
     number of ports: 1
     port base: 59
     operations supported: PutVideo PutImage
     supported visuals:
       depth 24, visualID 0x23
       depth 24, visualID 0x24
       depth 24, visualID 0x25
       depth 24, visualID 0x26
       depth 24, visualID 0x27
       depth 24, visualID 0x28
       depth 24, visualID 0x29
       depth 24, visualID 0x2a
     number of attributes: 15
       "XV_SET_DEFAULTS" (range 0 to 1)
               client settable attribute
       "XV_AUTOPAINT_COLORKEY" (range 0 to 1)
               client settable attribute
               client gettable attribute (current value is 1)
       "XV_COLORKEY" (range 0 to -1)
               client settable attribute
               client gettable attribute (current value is 66051)
       "XV_DOUBLE_BUFFER" (range 0 to 1)
               client settable attribute
               client gettable attribute (current value is 1)
       "XV_ENCODING" (range 0 to 12)
               client settable attribute
               client gettable attribute (current value is 5)
       "XV_FREQ" (range 0 to -1)
               client settable attribute
               client gettable attribute (current value is 980)
       "XV_TUNER_STATUS" (range -1000 to 1000)
               client gettable attribute (current value is 4)
       "XV_BRIGHTNESS" (range -1000 to 1000)
               client settable attribute
               client gettable attribute (current value is 0)
       "XV_CONTRAST" (range -1000 to 1000)
               client settable attribute
               client gettable attribute (current value is 0)
       "XV_SATURATION" (range -1000 to 1000)
               client settable attribute
               client gettable attribute (current value is 0)
       "XV_COLOR" (range -1000 to 1000)
               client settable attribute
               client gettable attribute (current value is 0)
       "XV_HUE" (range -1000 to 1000)
               client settable attribute
               client gettable attribute (current value is 0)
       "XV_MUTE" (range 0 to 1)
               client settable attribute
               client gettable attribute (current value is 1)
       "XV_SAP" (range 0 to 1)
               client settable attribute
               client gettable attribute (current value is 0)
       "XV_VOLUME" (range -1000 to 1000)
               client settable attribute
               client gettable attribute (current value is -1000)
     number of encodings: 12