[mythtv] non-Xv display support in CVS.

Chris Pinkham cpinkham at bc2va.org
Wed Mar 5 12:36:19 EST 2003

Doug,

Can you give this another try now with current CVS?  I added XShm support
which sped things up a little, but I've also rewritten the software scaling
function and that made a big difference.  It still comes close to
maxing out my Athlon 700 when I scale up from 352x480 to 640x480 or
800x600, but it should run OK on faster systems.  Scaling up vertically
is much quicker than horizontally, so for example 400x300 goes up to
640x480 much quicker than 352x480 goes up to 640x480.  Horizontal scaling
is costly right now unless I can find some better optimized routines,
possibly mmx optimized.  Best case is still to record at screen resolution
if possible, so record and run gui at 640x480 or as close as possible to
each other.

> It's very slow for me.  On my Athlon XP 1700+, playback of recorded video
> pegs the CPU at 100% and the video playback is too slow and choppy to
> watch.  Of course Live TV is even worse.  Durring playback, mythfrontend
> takes anywhere from 60-90% of the CPU time and X takes most of the rest.
> With the Xv drivers the CPU hovers around 15-20% utilization for
> simultaneous record/play.  Perhaps there are some X optimizations required
> that I'm not aware of.  I'm using the fbdev driver on XFree86 4.2.1 (with
> a Radeon 8500).
>
> -Doug

Chris