[mythtv] Separating CAPTUR and Capture in OSS

Robert Cantu robert at artistictech.net
Tue Mar 4 19:46:04 EST 2003

I run mythtv with the stock emu10k1 on RedHat 8.0 with my SB Live! PCI card.
I've also tried it with Alsa from source. I can honestly say that the OSS
driver is much better. With alsa, I get horrible audio performance when I
fast forward or rewind recorded or live TV. That and it's just cleaner not
to have 10+ modules that you have to hand load in most cases (modprobe
snd-emu10k1 doesn't load the oss-pcm or oss-mixer modules), not to mention
that you have to handle the case of automatically muted Master and PCM
channels in the mixer everytime you load the drivers. For RedHat, I find
that alsa just gets in the way (it handles the OSS mixer load/save already
after an install) for performance that is either negligible or non-existent
for 98% of cases needed. I'm not saying it's not a good project, I'm just
saying that MythTv (and it's developers) shouldn't force alsa on the user if
the oss driver performs the same or better (as it does in the case of
emu10k1).

Robert Cantu, RHCE