[mythtv] Re: Debian packages 0.7-12

Matt Zimmerman mdz at debian.org
Tue Jan 28 22:27:31 EST 2003

# not sure if this is the right binary package for the bug, but it's closer
reassign 178698 xfree86
retitle 178698 Dependencies not correctly fulfilled for packages depending on xlibmesa3 | libgl1
thanks

On Tue, Jan 28, 2003 at 06:38:36PM +0100, Stefan Frank wrote:

> But if you use the debian-packaged version of the qt3-mt libs, this
> shouldn't be case. I had the same problem yesterday night, and
> it was due to a missing package dependency (see Bug #178698)
>
> What solved this problem for me was to install xlibmesa3-glu debian
> package.

This is likely the problem, then.  I do happen to have xlibmesa3-glu
installed for other reasons, which is presumably why it works for me.

My assessment is this:

- Packages (such as libqt3-mt-mysql) were linked against libGLU
- These packages received shlibs dependencies of xlibmesa3 | libgl1
- xlibmesa3 split into xlibmesa3-gl and xlibmesa3-glu, and xlibmesa3 became
  a metapackage depending on both of those libraries, to provide
  compatibility
- However, xlibmesa3-gl Provides: libgl1, so it (wrongly) satisfies the
  dependency on its own, without xlibmesa3, even though it does not contain
  libGLU

Mark Pitman: if you have xlibmesa3-gl installed, but not xlibmesa3 or
xlibmesa3-glu, this will confirm my hypothesis and installing xlibmesa3-glu
should fix your problem.

--
 - mdz