[mythtv] Newbie needs advice!

John jmlangan at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 26 10:07:11 EST 2003

Hello all,
   I am new here and just want some advice if its not
too much trouble...

I have used linux for a short time(redhat 8.0) is what
i downloaded.

I have an old box collecting dust and read about myth
tv so i thought id try it out.

I have an asus MOBO with an 800 Mhz Celeron, an ati
all in wonder rage 128, i belive with 16M video RAM

I have 256 SYStem RAM and a creative labs video
blaster with remote.(this card has no drivers for
linux) :(

first trouble i had was getting the ethernet card
working(dlink dfe 530x)
no drivers..

I tried windows 2000 and was not happy with the video
performance so i want to try myth tv.

My question is what distro of linux do you recomend
and which capture card, remote(linx), can i use the
creative labs card or should i throw it in my XP
box???(2.0ghz p4)

i had errors trying to install xtml under red hat, the
perl part would not compile...

is there an easy way to get this up and running(after
wasting 1 weekend i would like to try linux but am
getting frustrated)

=====
AOL SUCKS