[mythtv] s-video input / widescreen tv ?

Bruce Markey bjm at lvcm.com
Tue Jan 21 01:40:11 EST 2003

Laurent Farcy wrote:
> I confirm : I've got a physical 16:9 display (Sony KV32FX60B, not HDTV).
> So, what's best ? Adjust the set to stretch an 4:3 anamorphic image or
> adjust the Xv output ? From a strict user standpoint, it seems easier to
> adjust the tv set since it is pressing one button om my remote control.
> It is not 'reconfiguration' when switching from a 4:3 to a 16:9 channel
> (most of them are still in 4:3).

One thing to consider is that MythTV is running over X so
X must always work. If, for instance, a change were made
from an interlaced mode to progressive, The X screen would
lose synch. However, if it is the same raster timing but
stretched on the screen then this isn't an issue and
switching the TV will work.

The reason I'd suggest 16:9 is based on the assumption that
you can use a higher horizontal resolution with square pixels.
For me, I'd prefer keeping the maximum X screen space possible
filling the physical dimensions of the screen then adjusting
the width or height of the Xv display area to correct the
aspect ratio.

--  bjm