[mythtv] please help - only seeing a blue screen in mythtv. grabdisplay?

Dan Brown dglbrown at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 19 17:53:27 EST 2003

Hi- I'm trying to install mythtv 0.7 on a P4 2.4ghz
system running mandrake 9.0, with an AVerTV Stereo
tuner card and a GeForce4 MX 420 video card with
s-video-out. My sound card is an on-board SoundMAX
that shows up in the mandrake control center's devices
list as a ICH 845G/GL and uses the i810_audio module.

I'm a recent migrant from Windows, and let me tell you
how bummed I was to see a big blue screen when I first
tried to run the mythfrontend. after reading as much
as I could here and elsewhere, it looks like I have
some fundamental problems:

XawTV works fine in overlay mode, but only shows a
blue screen in grabdisplay mode (I can continue to
hear sound for each channel as I change them, but
that's just the loopback cable). If I move through the
channels, I can a single frame's worth of video, but
then the blue screen overwrites it. jpeg capture works
in overlay mode, but not in grabdisplay mode. An
earlier post from Isaac suggested that I should
resolve this grabdisplay issue first. But I haven't
been able to make much progress - my bttv drivers and
modules seem to be working fine, according to what I
read here:
http://will.freehosting.net/bttv-HOWTO-5.html

although when I use v4l-conf, I do get a warning that
seems to indicate I'm only using v4l and not v4l2:
/dev/video0 [v4l2]: ioctl VIDIOC_QUERYCAP: Invalid
argument
/dev/video0 [v4l]: configuration done

the messages I get from mythfrontend on the console
are:
Probed: /dev/video - Television
Probed: /dev/video - Composite1
Probed: /dev/video - S-Video
Changing from None to WatchingLiveTV
strange error flushing buffer ...
player: Can't open audio device: /dev/dsp
open audio:: Device or resource busy
Using XV port 56
mythfrontend: Fatal IO error: client killed
(I had to right click on the task bar icon and close
the application, because the program didn't respond to
the keys Q, ctrl-c, c, up, down, or anything else I
could think of)

and the messages from mythtv:
Probed: /dev/video - Television
Probed: /dev/video - Composite1
Probed: /dev/video - S-Video
Changing from None to WatchingLiveTV
audio volume set to '32768'
strange error flushing buffer ...
player: Can't open audio device: /dev/dsp
open audio:: Device or resource busy
Using XV port 56

What can I try next? Many thanks in advance

Dan
ps- hoping to get this taken care of so I can record
the superbowl. go raiduz!