[mythtv] Record now?

Bruce Markey bjm at lvcm.com
Fri Jan 17 18:10:03 EST 2003

Fisrt, I want to be clear that was describing how an
existing commercial product works rather than saying that
myth should do the same ;-)...

Risto Treksler wrote:
>>If you choose to record the current show, you are
>>given the choice of continuing to record at "Best" quality
>>saving the previous portion or to change quality starting
>>from the current time.
>

> That is a a good choice and mythTV should also offer that choice.
> Bothering the user with the details about quality is a little unnecessary
> though

But the quality is the only issue. TiVo's live recording
is always "Best". If the user wants to save disk space,
they need to restart recording "now" with the new parameters.
If there is no change in parameters, there is no reason not
to save the previous portion.

> why not automatically crop the resulting file down to 30 minutes AFTER
> the program has finished recording.

Corpping ain't automatic which is the issue ;-). But I
absolutely agree with you. When record in progress is
chosen, rename the ring buffer to, say, tmp.nvu. Stop
recording at the endtime then copy out the starttime to
endtime and remove the tmp file (or something like that).

> As I understand it video editing capabilities are at least in the works.
>
> so the result is still 6:55-7:30
> but THEN it gets cropped, no need to crop the ringbuffer on the fly

Exactly. It's just fun to see how TiVo mishandles this case.

> having one long ringbuffer might be useful as an option,
> but only if it marked when channel changes occurred

Agreed.

I was using the ATI software when Barry Bonds set the home
run record. They had a feature where you could set the
start and end times to save as a file. I'd buffer the whole
game then select the portions around the home runs. I still
have these MPEG2 clips of his 70th thru 73rd. So choosing
the start and end times from the listing is useful and
choosing the start and end times that you want to keep can
be useful too.

--  bjm