[mythtv] Record now?

Risto Treksler risto at elkhornbanff.ca
Fri Jan 17 17:39:47 EST 2003

> Why not make a userselectable behaviour:
> 1) clean buffer whenever a channelchange (current implementation)
> 2) use all of the buffer
> 3) use all of the buffer without ever cleaning, keep buffer even in between
> livetv sessions. Check what the kids viewed three days and five reboots ago
> in your 120Gb ringbuffer-only drive. No privacy evermore... :-)
> 4) like (1), but let channelchange with its reset confirm on certain
> userselectable conditions:
>          A) if shifting is used since last bufferclear on the current
> channel B) if buffer contains the start of the current show accoring to the
> EPG
>          C) ... whatever, think of your own tv-behaviour...
>
> Erik

I think that user selectable behaviour of the ringbuffer would definitely be
an improvement.

The bottom line of course is that when you are watching a program and go to
the EPG and press record the user wold get a choice to
  -record current program from current time onward only(default)
  -record current program from the point I started watching.
   ("point i started watching" would be "from start of program"
     if the whole show is in the buffer-easily detected)

There should also be an easy way to "STOP rcording now"!!!
or maybe there already is

This would all be useful for recording music videos and such,
as well as, recording whole episodes you already are watching and not
recording.