[mythtv] Hardware MJPEG Question

Ray maillists at sonictech.net
Wed Jan 15 14:43:56 EST 2003

On Tue, Jan 14, 2003 at 10:41:46PM -0600, James D. Bearden wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am going to dwelve into the code to try and figure out what is wrong with
> the Hardware MJPEG stuff. It is going to take a while since I don't know
> anything about C++, video codecs, MythTV, hardware drivers, etc, etc, so
> don't hold your breath.
>
> But I was wondering if somebody could tell me a couple things. Why does it
> seem like, when using the MJPEG Hardware option, that it acts like the CPU
> load is pegged when in fact it is barely being touched?

When just recording or when playing back?  Playing back mjpegs in software
takes a fair bit of cpu at decimation 1.  I use decimation 2 on my dual
Celeron 500 box with no problems at all though (mythfrontend is taking about
50-80% of one of my cpus at the moment playing live tv).  Record only uses
10-20% cpu depending decimation.  I think you really need to nail down
weather your high cpu usage occurs during record only (unless I've missed
that in your other postings).

> And why, in addition to having about a 1fps framerate, it also randomly
> jumps horozontally?

I've never seen this with my Marvel G200.  When I try decimation 1 I'm short
of cpu for playback and I get play, pause, play, pause etc. but no other
real jumping.  I guess I should point out that I'm using a much older
cvs version of Myth from back well before the backend and frontend split.

--
Ray